Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Treats
There are so many different treats that us humans get to enjoy during Halloween season. Of course there’s all the candy but there’s also pumpkin donuts, pumpkin bagels, pumpkin coffee…essentially it seems they’ve made just about everything you can think of into pumpkin flavor this year.
Most of the things that we are able to enjoy are bad for our dogs so why not make them their own special doggy treat to enjoy?
Below is a quick and easy recipe to make pumpkin treats that your dog (and his tummy) will appreciate!
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (organic if you have it)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup water as needed
- You’ll want to pick up canned pumpkin for this recipe, but not pumpkin pie filling. You need just plain canned pumpkin because pumpkin pie filling has too much sugar and too many spices.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all your ingredients except the water then add it sparingly. Depending on the amount of oil in your peanut butter, you may need the entire 1/2 cup of water (it’s okay if you don’t use it all). Note: The dough should turn out sticky but not dry; if it feels dry, you need a little more water. If it is sticking to your fingers than you need a little more flour.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface; to be festive, use pumpkin shaped cookie cutters. Cut the treats out and placed them on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cool, and then serve!
- For an extra treat, make little treat bags to pass out to the doggies that will be trick or treating with their families on Halloween night!
Leave a Reply